Friday, July 23, 2010

BP8 zooburst

Here's a new tool - zooburst. It's amazing, easy, and fun! With zooburst, you can create pop-up books. You can move the objects around on the page and even rotate the page and object to see them from any angle. Pop-up speeds can be modified, as well as size.

I think this would be very useful for reluctant writers. I might start by creating a book and then have students write a story to go along with it by asking how the items on the page relate to each other, what do they know about each item, what questions do the pictures suggest, etc. Students could also create their own books for a creative writing project. Reluctant writers might also use this tool to write stories for younger siblings and a way of writing to a welcoming audience outside their peer group, hence increasing confidence. It could also be used as a bridging activity to other reading or writing activities or as a way of presenting information for a book report.

Imagine starting a new school year by creating a book about the classroom students, their interests, or maybe what they did over the summer. You could also populate a book with things that they would be learning about in the coming school year and then have a classroom discussion about it. There are endless possibilities.

You do need to submit to the site to gain access, requiring an email. I did it once with a personal email and there was no response. I did a second time with my school email and had my access the next day. Part of this process is including why you want to use it. I specified my use with it as a special education teacher.

The embedded video is courtesy of the zooburst site for blog embedding purposes.





Here's a quick book I did that I would use to prompt discussion and writing ideas.

3 comments:

  1. Catherine,
    ZooBurst is just too cute! A great idea for intermediate elementary students who like you said have a hard time either writing or reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Catherine, this looks like a great tool to engage children in creative activity, something I would be very much interested in introducing to my own kids. With the plethora of mindless games and entertainment so easily accessible, I prefer children engage technology in a way that stimulates their creativity and brain function rather than diminish them!

    With fun and entertaining tools that inspire children to think, I think tech can be put to a good end. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I like taking a real live concept and converting it into a 3d virtual perspective. This would be cool its more entertaining to visualize a story as a pop up - book.

    This has sparked new ideas for me to use

    ReplyDelete

signature courtesy of graphicsfactory.com