Friday, July 2, 2010

BP3_Web2.0_Tool

Jazz Beat- a math jingle rhythm (click on the screen shot or the words to hear the beat)

This is a beat I created at aviary in ROC. I team teach a 4th grade math class and will be exploring using music jingles to help students remember rules and formulas and study tips. I would use this beat with the following words:

Write your problem,
Show your work.
Check your answer,
Does it work?

Last year, my co-teacher and I spontaneously created words for a hand game for estimating, and the students remembered! That success is what is propelling me towards Action Research in using music to increase engagement and learning.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine,

    I think you will find a lot of studies that show music and lyrics are a great way to teach subjects. Children have a natural rhythm and hear the slightest information in music. When my kids were little, they would not watch tv but as soon as a commercial with a jingle came on, they came running in the room, danced and sang it. Then they would point out the product at the store or in a coupon ad. Auditory discrimination is also a vital part of the reading process. Rock on, Catherine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,

    What a cool site and compelling lesson to teach students! It is true that students are engaged when you incorporate music into anything. How many of them walk in singing songs they hear on the radio??? I teach 6th grade math and have made up a couple raps/beats/dance moves to help students remember how to add fractions or divide decimals. I think I want to use this site on my next class! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

signature courtesy of graphicsfactory.com