Thursday, February 3, 2011

EDM613 MAC - Week 1: BLOG Comment #2

Brook McKaig's Blog Post

I might start rambling when discussing copyright because I don't feel there is a clear and definite way to define it for all things in simple terms.

I feel both in my classroom and in my professional freelance I am always dealing with copyright issues. From trying to express to my students the importance of understanding copyright and use of to having clients wanting to use images they find online, think that just because it's out there it's ok to use. I have turned down many jobs because a company doesn't want to pay for the rights to use an image they found on Getty (their image rights can be very expensive). As well, I have gotten into long debates with students about downloading software, music and games... And using images of the net for their work in class. For learning purposes I allow some but insist that images be very much manipulated (fine tuning Photoshop skills) but encourage students to create their own or illustrate/photograph their own images... Otherwise it's just cut and paste not design.. I don't know, I feel that I'm a very just person and always use the example that if I created something and someone else took credit for it I would be greatly offended which brings me to the point of much of what we have been watching (like in "Good Copy Bad Copy") it's more about getting permission or giving credit where credit is due. I have had musician contact me before to use images I created on albums and had no problem letting them so long as they gave me some credit in the liner notes and send me a copy of the disc.

I work for a lot of '80's metal bands and know that most don't make anything off their CD's and rely mostly on touring and merch to make a living. Most don't even bother looking for the big labels to distribute their music and take it upon themselves to post it everywhere and hope that people download it and share it to get the word out. I have some friends that posted all over the social networks that all three of their albums were free for download with a link to a site to get them all. When you went to the site there was a Paypal donation link. I thought it was a great idea put who knows how many people actually made some kind of donation for the music. I personally paid $20 for all three because I felt that it was the right thing to do and at least give something. It can be a fine and very much determined by what the artist feels but in any case recognition should be given in some form. I agree with Bryan in the thought of instead of fighting what is happening finding a way to embrace it by creating new means of sharing and distributing creative works that benefits the artist and consumer.

As an artist I believe creativity feeds off other creative expressions .. We look to music, dance, paintings, design and the works of others to inspire and drive ourselves to be creative. I can't say that in this day-in-age that there are any creative works out there that weren't inspired or derivative of something before.

@Brooke

Brooke, I agree with you completely! My husband is a musician and routinely gives away his cd's to anyone who wants one. It's about getting the word out, as you said. Your last paragraph summed it up well. Artists work with elements and inspiration from their world. It all came from someone!
"As an artist I believe creativity feeds off other creative expressions .. We look to music, dance, paintings, design and the works of others to inspire and drive ourselves to be creative. I can't say that in this day-in-age that there are any creative works out there that weren't inspired or derivative of something before."

This is my husband, Dave Yoho

No comments:

Post a Comment

signature courtesy of graphicsfactory.com